16 December 2017
Arrangements for the funeral of Sam Zarifeh
The funeral for our dearly loved teacher, coach and housemaster Sam Zarifeh will be held in the School Hall on Saturday the 16th of December at 2:00 pm.
All members of the school community are welcome to join Sam’s family and friends as we remember him and support each other.
We want to get things right for Sam. Please take note of the information below.
- There is a condolence book at the school foyer that can be signed prior to Saturday.
- CBHS students should wear school uniform and ensure that they are immaculately presented including being clean shaven. Year 13 Leavers are welcome to wear their Old Boys tie with their uniform.
- CBHS students should gather in the Old Boys Quad at 1:30 and wait to be seated by staff. We want to make sure that guests can have a seat.
- There will be parking on the School fields and you will be directed to car parks. There will be no parking on the asphalt in front of the school or in Te Kura Street.
- At the end of the service a Haka will be performed by staff, Old Boys and students to honour and farewell Sam. The haka will take place either side of the drive and will start when the hearse begins to leave. The hearse carrying Sam will drive through the haka. Those performing the haka cannot start the haka from behind the hearse. Those who want to be part of the Haka should sit as close as they can to the Eastern Doors and at the service’s conclusion leave through the Old Boys Quad. The haka may be performed more than once and be aware that whētero (the protrusion of the tongue) is not appropriate in these circumstances.
- At the conclusion of the service there will be refreshments being served from the Big Room and there will be food and drink available for students from tables on the field.
- Those who need support or a quiet place to reflect after the funeral will be able to meet in the Cricket Pavilion.
I will miss Sam and I know the community will be supportive of Sam’s family, friends and each other. We will all need that support.