Welcome to Adams House - the boarding hostel for Christchurch Boys' High School
Adams House was named after Mr J.C Adams who was the Chairman of the Board when the Hostel was founded in 1915-16. A complete redevelopment of our new buildings began in 2000 and were officially opened in October 2001. Upgrades were completed to Harakeke Block in 2017 to make the entire complex a modern, home away from home.
Adams House primarily caters for rural families in the South Island. With a capacity for 135 full time boarders Adams House provides a very significant contribution to the history, reputation and daily life of Christchurch Boys’ High School.
Our philosophy on boarding is simple, we are the students “Home Away from Home”, we strive to provide the best possible boarding and life experience for our students. The staff ratio is high. The Head of Boarding and ten housemasters live on site. Three staff are always on duty and during the day this increases to four when our Manager comes on duty. Every effort is made to ensure all our boarding students are treated equally, with compassion, respect, appropriate discipline and the care a parent would treat their own son.
We take great pride in our facilities. The living areas are modern, warm, clean, comfortable and perfectly maintained. Our food is outstanding and the envy of many other similar establishments. All year groups have their own common room. High speed wireless internet ensures all students have modern, filtered computer access. Our 1.3ha grounds are immaculate and provide a park like setting. Recreation facilities include a heated swimming pool, tennis courts, cricket nets, weights gymnasium, basketball court and two playing fields.
The Education Review Office reports in past years have been glowing. One indicating that “Adams House sets the standard that others will be judged upon”.
We are understandably very proud of our facility, our history and the culture we have developed at Adams House. A personal visit however, will show case Adams House in a manner that will impress. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to view what I believe is the best boarding school in our country.
Head of Boarding
About Adams House
Adams House is the boarding facility for Christchurch Boys’ High School. The Hostel is situated just five minutes walk from the school on Harakeke Street. The grounds are extensive and include modern amenities for our boarders.
Application Information and Fees
Applications and interviews close for Year 9 2023 enrolments on 1st April 2022 requirements are below :
- A completed Application for Admission as a Boarder Form only to be sent to the school – Enrolments (Adams House), Christchurch Boys’ High School, PO Box 8157, Riccarton, Christchurch 8440.Please send all enquiries to email@example.com
Please bring a completed CV with the following requirements to your Adams House interview.
- A personal statement outlining why you want your son to attend our School and Board at Adams House. Please include details of any association with the school, for example relatives who have attended the school to be submitted when you go for your interview at Adams House.
- Details of distance to the nearest local secondary school and any difficulties of access that may be experienced
- Copies of your son’s most recent school reports (please be aware the a confidential report will be requested from your son’s current school)
- Details of any sporting or cultural interests outside the school
- A testimonial from your son’s present school
- Details of any medical condition your son may have