The School’s Hostel opened in its present position in August 1917 with 24 boys.
The school magazine of the day reported: “We are well housed in the fine new building, which is wonderfully warm, a great contrast to the tents of the last term.”
In April of 2000, a total redevelopment of the Hostel began. The most recent upgrades to Harakeke Block in 2016 and 2017 have now completed the full site redevelopment making for an incredibly modern facility. The complex, more like a hotel facility than a boarding school, is our pride and joy. For boarders, most of whom are from rural areas and small towns, the hostel is a home away from home that seeks to assist them to achieve educationally and to provide them with the opportunity to develop socially in the company of other boys of similar ages.
The hostel also provides our boys’ opportunities to develop sporting and cultural talents and to achieve a high level of success in these areas.
Adams House – At a Glance
- Situated on more than three acres of exceptionally maintained grounds bordering the Avon River
- Capacity for 135 full-time boarders
- Accommodation is separated into three blocks (Straven, Worcester & Harakeke)
- Each boy has a wardrobe, six drawers and a locker in which to store his possessions
- All the boys have personal study spaces provided in their rooms
- Supervised prep each night (Monday – Thursday) for a minimum of 1.5 hours
- Peer support and prep assistance available. Access to private tutors if required
- The boys have the use of a modern learning environment with screen sharing, group study areas and remote printing
- Unlimited data UFB wifi access (from March 2017) controlled by system administrators and protected by a state of the art firewall
- Modern, spacious common rooms including multimedia access and Sky TV
- Other recreational resources include table tennis, kayaks, a cricket bowling machine and an excellent weight training facility
- Avon Block is the main service block. This building has the kitchen, dining room, Year 9 & 10 common room, modern learning room, sick bay, laundry, staff room, Housemasters’ study, Manager/reception area and the office and the Head of Boarding.
If you would like to board at Adams House please review the following resources: